Wednesday, September 10, 2008

End of the world?

Tomorrow morning, around 5am Australian Eastern Time, the propellerheads at the CERN laboratory in Geneva will be activating their Large Hadron Collider


What this means to non-nuclear physicists is that they are essentially turning on a machine that is 27km in diameter, and then "throwing" two particles at each other and watching them go boom. Why? well to "provide new insights into the mysteries of our universe."

There is apparently an infinitesimally small chance they might accidentally create a black hole. In Geneva. But don't worry, the men in the white coats and hard hats assure us that this has been "universally ridiculed by the experts involved in the project"

To commemorate life on earth, I present a YouTube sent in by a reader. Happy Life everyone! and if there's a world around tomorrow, I'll be sure to keep annoying you.


2 comments:

T. R. Ted said...

Even with all the safety regulations and road rules, car accidents have killed more people than any major pile up involving horses.

Now I'm not saying that the boffs at CERN are going to create a black hole that will destroy the earth, but I do like the fact that we, as a species, continually push the boundaries of known stuff potentially to the detriment of our own existence - GO MAN!

(it's also nice to know that to move forward we have to look backward but to do this we have to go round in circles!)

Anonymous said...

HooRAH! T.R. Ted! Possibly the first evidence ever that I'm not the only one reading Jack's blog!

I have been following this one. Must say, my favourite bit of the clip is how Europe is slowly digested and we down under are the last ones left before ZAP! it's all gone!

I think I'll set my alarm clock for 5am to just give me enough time to say "I told you so!" Not because I did! Just because I can!