Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Don't cross the streams!!

Dr. Egon Spengler: Don’t cross the streams.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?
Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
Dr. Peter Venkman: I’m fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, “bad”?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That’s bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.
--Ghostbusters (1984)
So two things.
  1. I got the time wrong. It the LHC experiment was run at 5pm today.
  2. The world didn't end!!
So apparently they only turned it on. They didn't do any exciting stuff like crossing the streams. Apparently they're going to do that in a couple of months. I don't know how many more 150ft marshmallow men we need, but I'd like to know those "scientists" check, double-check and recheck their calculations.

Here's a picture of some part of this machine. More at the link below....


Links:

3 comments:

T. R. Ted said...

It's good to be alive (for now).

Hi Gramps! I've been reading NM for a while but dont always feel qualified to speak on the topics, or that I dont want to get started ranting on certian threads - open plan office and all. Suffice to say though my side of the fence is quite RIGHT!

Anonymous said...

Don't feel qualified?!?! And you think Jack is!?! Please - serious brain adjustment required there T.R.!

Anonymous said...

Damn you Jack! You stole all my glory for what was going to be a devastating post of humour and wit stating that you got it wrong and the particle smashing doesn't happen for a few weeks yet.

(I was going to get my speech writers on to it. It would have been glorious!)