Sunday, May 17, 2009

Rice wine

Friday on the herald-sun photo gallery, we have pictures of a recent live fire exercise Chong Ju by the Australian Army. Although I could only find a press release for the last Chong Ju in 2007 with some groovy photos, I assume that these herald sun pics are of a more recent exercise.

What grabbed my attention was the name: Chong ju. A fairly specific name for an Australian Army exercise. A bit of research (0K…0.2 seconds of Googling) revealed the following:

Cheong-ju rice wine

I’ll leave it up to you to work out if perhaps the naming is a subtle message to certain crazed regime somewhere off the mainland of china. And just in case my readers think this is a bit far fetched, let me propose a not so hypothetical:

In 2003, a North Korean cargo ship “Pong Su” moored offshore near Lorne, Victoria was seized after being used to smuggle heroin into Australia.

In 2006, the Australian Government decided to get rid of the ship. Did they:

a. Send it to a ship recycling yard to re-use the scrap metal?
b.
Refurbish it and sell it to a shipping company?
c.
Tow it 200kms off shore and send in an F1-11 with laser guided bombs to blow the ship up?

Answer here

Article here

3 comments:

Gramps said...

Cool clip! I love watching things go BOOM!

The people smugglers apparently factor in the cost of the boat being destroyed when the Govt impounds it. I wonder if the heroin smugglers do the same ... and was the price of the boat (in heroin) still on board when they blew it up? That's one whacked out bunch of fish!

lowerril

Jack said...

I'm pretty sure the authorities would have sold..ahem, I mean destroyed the heroin before hand...

fuesiven

Gramps said...

flumme!

It was just too good to ignore.