Friday, April 10, 2009

Hitchens vs the SSNP












VS




My favourite writer Christopher Hitchens on his recent adventures in Lebanon. I can’t really do it any justice, so I recommend you read it all.

However here’s a little taster. First, there’s the meeting of Hitchens & Co. with an Syrian Social Nationalist Party Flag (SSNP):

Well, call me old-fashioned if you will, but I have always taken the view that swastika symbols exist for one purpose only—to be defaced. Telling my two companions to hold on for a second, I flourish my trusty felt-tip and begin to write some offensive words on the offending poster. I say “begin” because I have barely gotten to the letter k in a well-known transitive verb when I am grabbed by my shirt collar by a venomous little thug, his face glittering with hysterical malice.”

Too [transitive verb]ing funny...

And a little bit further:

“However, it remains the case that those who inconvenience Syria by their criticisms are bad liabilities from the life-insurance point of view.”

A perfect mix of facts, cynicism and wit. A man truly after my own heart.

5 comments:

Gramps said...

Gisele looks awesome!

Jack said...

deep man...real deep. Although I did think the same myself


resserus

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, so you lament my lack of critical insight when I am distracted by flesh and yet affirm my distraction with your own words.

Criticism ain't what it used to be! Maybe your lack of a determined response undermining my obvious shallowness is what is actually what's wrong with the world. That and copious amounts of CO2 spilling into the atmosphere from the thawing permafrost tracts across the northern hemisphere. Or should that be Northern Hemisphere?

The inkis more powerful than the sword.

Jack said...

The "inkis"? I know what you mean, although I enjoy picking you up on your spelling mistake. And yes, no one's made of wood, and Gisele is not hard on the eye.

However clearly you are still a Warming believer and my writing has done nothing to dissuade you yet. I'll keep trying until they pry my computer out of my sweaty, overheated due to an imaginary- climate-phenomenon hands

Gramps said...

Actually, inkis was my axicerch that day.